Task 16 - Choice of Music



We had difficulty trying to find the "right" song/soundtrack or instrumental or our opening sequence. However, we eventually found a good backing - "Dark Times. We want to use this for couple of scenes, as this track features 2 different rhythms.

The first can be found at the beginning of the track, where we get a good composition in the "minor" key thus giving a "creepy" and "unsettling" atmosphere. This is great for what we have in mind as the main scenes will feature "unsettling" atmospheres. The tone coupled with the eerie arpeggiated piano melody completes the atmosphere we were looking for. This first rhythm only features a melody hence why it creates a "creepy" feeling.

The second rhythm can be found at 0:23 secs on the video above. This second "rhythm" isn't an entirely different composition but features a bass to the previous melody thus creating a "dark" feeling just because of the added bass line. Paired with the melody from the first "rhythm" this composition creates a whole different atmosphere as the bass gives different feelings from the previous melody.

Rhythm 1 gives the feeling of isolation but the second rhythm gives a whole new feeling. The second gives the feeling of a dark presence nearby and also dark anger.

Furthermore in my research , I found that most of the films within the "Thriller" and "Mystery" genres, they often had dark, eerie soundtrack for their opening sequence. An example of this would be "Se7en" where the bass creates the mysterious atmosphere.

Moreover for the logo backing we decided to make our own backing track as this was something that I really wanted to do due to my experience in composing and also my passion for music. I decided to go with a simple composition as it would've been more effective than creating a track that featured multiple layers of sound.

I used a stock sample from GarageBand called "Borealis 1" as it had a really nice bass which created a "deep & dark" atmosphere which was what I had wanted because it would prepare the audience for the tone of the film - Dark and mysterious. 



The clip above has the audio that I had in mind. I wanted to get a concussive sound effect which had an ultra-high pitch ringing sound that would symbolise disorientation, I felt that this would be very effective for the scene where the main character uses a bottle to concuss the male actor. Furthermore, this enhanced the scene as the bottle did not break so we wanted to keep the continuity by not using a bottle breaking as the sound effect for the scene but instead we decided to use the above audio as it was an audio representation of pain - Whenever humans receive pain near the temple we hear a high-pitched ringing sound. With this concept in mind, I used the "Flashbang Sound Effect" from the game "Call of Duty: Black Ops 2 as the setting off of the "Flashbang" could be used as the bottle nears the camera and then the concussion effect as the aftermath.



I wanted to get a heartbeat sound effect for the scene described above [POV Bottle Hit Scene] because I felt that by using this, it would add a more immersive experience as the audience sees the situation from the victim's point of view - hearing your own heartbeat means that the situation is grave; I used this concept to give the audience the feeling of fear and uneasiness. 

Also I felt that by using a "Heartbeat" sound effect, I can create tension and also make the audience ask questions which might be answered in the rest of the movie.



After, I came across an Iphone notification sound effect which I wanted to use for the scene where the protagonist receives messages from her partner. This sound effect played each time she received a new message, so in total 3 times. I used this, as the original audio for the scene included unnecessary sounds and also the phone could not be heard ringing therefore we had to look for alternatives. Clip played a sound close to the original and also the phone used was an Iphone so we had to use the same notification sound because it wouldn't be correct according to continuity, if the sound played was an android or anything else for that matter.

Then, I used stock samples from "Final Cut Pro X" where they had different paced breathing sounds. I couldn't find anything better than these samples on YouTube thus decided to use them - as they were easy to access and was versatile to use. 

I used "Breath Female 2" for the scene where the protagonist is on the floor in front a flight of stairs, indicating that she may be in shock, also I kept the heartbeat sound effect playing throughout three shots to show that they are all related. After this scene I used the "Breath Male 1" and "Breath Male 2" sound effects to show panic as the breathing speeds up towards the fade to black transition, this implies that the male might die but effectively creates mystery.

After that, I used the "Radio Short Wave" for the rewind sequence where I felt that the sound effect made the sequence much more "complete" as it had a visual and audio representation of a rewind - much like those found on TVs, moreover the "Radio Short Wave" sound effect coupled the "Bad TV" overlay effect nicely as it was much like a static interference.

Lastly, I used an audio from an argument that we intended to use but due to certain camera issues, the clip didn't make it into the final cut; however the audio did provide a good way of depicting a rewind. I sped up the waveform by 20x and also reversed it to create the rewind I  wanted. It turned out the way I wanted it to as it did create a good transition from the present to the past.


0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

Is This Poll Necessary

Total Pageviews